Now, Telegram has bought a brand new feature to move your existing chats from WhatsApp to Telegram with ease encouraging users to leave WhatApp completely users over data collection. We have a detailed guide Moving Chat History from WhatsApp and other messaging services to Telegram.
Moving Chat History from WhatsApp to Telegram on iOS Devices
- Simply open WhatsApp, and locate the chat you wish to move and open it.
- Once the chat is open, you need to click on the name of the contact at the top of the chat.
- In the window that then opens, you would have to scroll down and locate the option to ‘export chat’.
- While choosing to export chat, you would get the option to attach the media or not, and you can select their preferred option.
- Once the export file is ready, you would get several options in the iOS Share Menu. Except for Telegram, all other options would result in the sharing of a .zip file containing the chats in a text document, along with files for the media shared. But, on selecting Telegram, the you would get the option to select the contact you want to map the chat with. Once the desired contact name is selected, the entire message trail would be transferred from the Facebook-owned WhatsApp to the Telegram chat window. Here, every message that has been imported would be indicated.
WhatsApp for iOS also lets you export chats directly from the chat list. Swipe left on a chat, then choose ‘…’ > Export Chat.
Moving Chat History from WhatsApp to Telegram on Android Devices
- You need to open WhatsApp and choose the chat that you wish to transfer.
- In this chat, you would need to click on the three vertical dots on the top right to see more options, and from these, you would have to select the option of ‘Export Chat’.
- After that, from the share menu option, click on Telegram.
- Once in Telegram, you would have to select the contact that you want to export the chat to, and once that is done, the chat would successfully be transferred from WhatsApp to Telegram.
Do note that Messages will be imported into the current day but will also include their original timestamps. All members of the chat on Telegram will able to see the messages. However, the migration needs to be done carefully as Telegram cannot map the phone numbers directly from WhatsApp, and if done carelessly it may result in migrating the chats to the wrong person’s contact is selected and the entire chat would be transferred to that contact, leaving a private conversation vulnerable and accessible to them.