Instagram likes and Facebook post replies have become the digital currency of choice for today’s youngsters. While some of your Instagram posts may go viral, others may not. Instagram explored suppressing likes from your post in 2019 due to growing concerns over the consequences of social media on mental health. After nearly two years, the functionality is now accessible for everyone to try. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to hide Instagram likes.
Hide the number of likes Likes Instagram
You can interact with a post without assessing it based on the number of likes it has received so far by using Instagram’s new Hide Likes option.
- On your iPhone or Android, open the Instagram app.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the Profile Icon.
- Select Settings from the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Select Privacy > Posts from the menu.
- Enable Hide Like and View Counts toggle.
That’s it. You will no longer be able to see the number of likes and views on posts published by other Instagram accounts. But what about your own posts? Yes, the number of likes on your postings is still accessible to others. Here’s how to turn it off.
Hide Instagram Likes on Existing Posts
- Go to your profile menu in the Instagram app.
- Open any of your previous posts by selecting it from your profile.
- You can see how many people have liked a certain post right now.
- Select Hide Like Count from the pop-up menu by tapping on the three-dot menu at the top (also known as the Advanced settings menu).
The individual who posted the image or video can still see how many people have liked it, but other users can’t see how many hearts it has received.
How to Hide Likes on Instagram Before Posting
The aforementioned method works for all of your existing posts. What about future posts, though? Before sharing a great memory on Instagram, you can choose to hide the like count.
- In the Instagram Home, tap the + button at the bottom and create a new post as usual.
- Choose an image, apply a filter, and add a caption.
- Tap the small Advanced settings option at the bottom of the same menu.
- Enable Hide like and view counts on this post toggle.
The total amount of likes and views on this post will only be visible to you. Others on the platform will be unable to see it.
By navigating to the Advanced Options option at the top of the post, you can edit this afterwards.
What Causes Sudden Change?
For the past two years, Instagram has been testing the Hide Like Count function internally. The add-on is mostly targeted towards a younger demographic. According to Instagram, the goal is to de-stress the platform, make it less competitive, and offer users more time to interact with people they care about and things that inspire them.
On the other hand, some individuals may find the Hide Like Count practise irritating, especially because they utilise like counts to gain a sense of what’s trending or popular on the platform.
Final Thoughts: Hide Instagram Like Counts
Hide Like Counts is a nice option from Instagram as a responsible social network. It’s entirely up to you how you use the feature. Instagram users now have more absolute control over their experience, which is a positive step forward.
On the other hand, giving users too many alternatives might be perplexing. In the coming weeks, expect to see a mix of posts displaying and hiding like counts on the Instagram Home as more users experiment with the functionality.